Drawing a Dialogue is a podcast discussing comics in historical + educational contexts by Cathy G. Johnson and e jackson.
Episode 2: Cathy + e talk about the evolution of high culture, Clement Greenberg (that guy!), how the Arts keeps the average person at arm’s length, and how comics can combat it.
Contact: email@example.com, Twitter
Subscribe: iTunes, or any podcast app you may use!
Episode Citation (chronologically as mentioned in podcast):
- Greco-Roman academic traditions, advent of the printing press, etc: Norman Rockwell Museum
- Matthew Arnold - Culture and Anarchy - Britannica
- "Decorative Arts" - Link
- Clement Greenberg, 1939, Avant-Garde and Kitsch - PDF
- Clement Greenberg on Pop Art - YouTube
- Arthur Danto, The Artworld - PDF
- Simon Grennan - Image & Narrative
- International Art English (IAE) - Triple Canopy
- "Art museum membership" - Comiskey, D. S. (2016). “Drawing Conclusions.” Indianapolis Monthly, 40(2), 58.
- "Diamond Comic Distributors, 268% growth" - Miller, J. J. (n.d.). Comichron: Yearly Rankings for Comic Book Sales - Comichron
- MacDonald, H. (2013). How Graphic Novels Became the Hottest Section in the Library. Publishers Weekly, 260(18), 20-25 - Publishers Weekly
- "Reading is a social activity" - Knoester, M. (2009). Inquiry into urban adolescent independent reading habits: Can Gee’s theory of Discourses provide insight? Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 52(8), 676-85.
- Beaty, B. (2012). Comics Versus Art. Toronto : University of Toronto Press, c2012.
- Brunetti, I. (2011). Cartooning: Philosophy and Practice. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Adams, J. (1999). “Of Mice and Manga: Comics and Graphic Novels in Art Education.” Journal Of Art & Design Education, 18(1).
- Malchiodi, C. A. (1998). Understanding Children’s Drawings. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
- Bayles, D., & Orland, T. (1993). Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
- Erin La Cour, Comics as a Minor Literature - Image & Narrative
- Tip of the Tongue by Vincenzo Latronico (response to IAE hypothesis) - Frieze
What are we reading?
- Universal Harvester by John Darnielle
- Boku no Hīrō Akademia (My Hero Academia) by Kōhei Horikoshi